Sunday 14 March 2010

I'm tired of restaurants dropping the ball.

Welcome to Austin, land of shitty vegan restaurants.

For a city that is so diet-diverse, the options out there for vegans in this city are absolute rubbish. I've been wanting to say something about this for a long time, but I kept telling myself to just give Austin another chance. Someone is bound to put out some amazing vegan food, not just an overpriced plate of shit that I could put together blindfolded, handcuffed, and high on heroin.

I'm not saying that I don't jump on the opportunity to chow down on some greasy vegan brunch or a tofu bahn mi from time to time, I'm just trying to point out that the selections in this city are lame. Nobody is doing anything vegan and interesting, and that needs to change.

Yesterday, while at the farmer's market, I got hungry and bought a piece of vegan "mediterranean pizza". It was a corn pizza crust (cold) with hummus as the spread, and topped with chopped tomatoes, parsley, and a sprinkling of cooked quinoa. What the hell? Is this supposed to look good to me? I mean, yeah, I ate it. I was hungry. And it didn't taste bad, persay, but it was just uninspiring. Why is it that all of these animal-eaters can go anywhere any time and get whatever the hell they want, but if I want something really amazing, I have to make it myself? If you feel like you've just received an invite to the pity party, you have.

I want a sandwich. A big, delicious vegan sandwich on artisan bread with loads of grilled veggies, marinated mushrooms, organic greens, sprouts, flavorful and interesting aioli and maybe even some kind of house-made vegan meat/cheese, too. Can't get that in Austin unless you make it yourself. Sure, you can get a vegan version of some really awesome omnivorous sandwich, but if you get anything like I got at 24 Diner the other night, you're gonna be eating grilled squash on crusty bread and eating $7 fries with tomato ketchup. Because you know, thats normal AND fun. *eyeroll*


HOW FUCKING HARD IS IT TO GO BUY SOME VEGANAISE AND BLEND SOME SHIT INTO IT? Really. Do that two or three times a month and you've got yourself a few happy vegan customers.

Just because we don't eat animals doesn't mean we have no taste buds. Capital City needs to get with the program and take care of its own. Even if we are a bunch of tree-hugging, whiny hippy babies.

1 comment:

  1. Love your comments on poor vegan food and I just read you other rants in total agreement of idiots on Twitter and Meranda who has grossed me out from day one!! I don't see more posts but sure would like to read them.

    ReplyDelete